Official Website of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

Parks Special Event Permit Request

Important Message

The NYC Parks Special Event Permit Application timeline is changing!
NYC Parks will begin accepting applications for the 2024 calendar year at 12:00 A.M. on Tuesday, September 5, 2023.

From the smallest birthday party to the largest concert, special events take place every day in New York City parks. If you want to have any activity in a City park with more than 20 people, or where you would like to reserve a specific area within a park, you need to apply for a special event permit.

Apply Online Now

If you've read everything to the left, and you want to apply for a special events permit, please log in or create a new account below. If you have already created an account with the Street Activity Permit Office or Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment you do not need to create a new account. Please log in using your existing account.

Things to Know Before You Apply

Special Events permits cost $25 to process, and the fee cannot be waived waived (except when requesting an NYC Parks group volunteer project). We will do our best to give you what you request, but this money is not refundable. Also, we need 21-30 days to process a permit request, so make sure you plan ahead. We are not able to issue permits for major holidays, as we keep spaces clear for public use on a first-come, first-served basis on those days.

How much will the event cost? For most small events, there is no additional cost beyond the permit fee. If you're planning a larger event, please see the Rules and Regulations section for information on Special Events Concessions, including definitions of terms, concession fee schedule, and exceptions to that schedule.

Do I need other permits too? If you want to have amplified sound, you'll need a permit from the local police precinct. When you receive a Parks permit, including permission from Parks to use amplified sound, use NYPD's Sound Permit Application [PDF]. You're also responsible for obtaining any necessary clearances or permissions for the use of intellectual property, including but not limited to musical or other performance rights for the stage.

Want to sell food/merchandise on parkland? If you wish to sell food, beverages or merchandise at your special event, or to charge vendors a fee to participate in the event, you may need a Temporary Use Authorization (TUA) [PDF] Permit from Parks' Revenue Division. As a reminder, it is not permissible to require attendees to pay an admission or donation fee to participate in your event.

Want to host a large-scale event? Events with more than 500 guests have additional procedures. Please review our Large-Scale Events at NYC Parks Guidelines for more information.

Want to make your event sustainable? We work to make sure every event follows best practices to help the environment. Please download our Sustainable Events Guidelines for advice on how to make your event environmentally sustainable.

Access for People With Disabilities

Access to events for people with disabilities is critical, and we strongly encourage permit holders to provide information about the accessibility of the facility and other accommodations if their event is open to the public. For more information, please download the NYC Mayor's Office for People With Disabilities Meeting Guide, or read the New York City Council legislation. If you need guidance from Parks when responding to requests and inquiries, you can contact Chris Noel, our ADA Accessibility Coordinator/Disability Services Facilitator, by email at or by phone at (646) 632-7344.

Are you applying for the first time?

Visit our Special Events FAQ or contact our borough permit offices below.

Apply in Person

Customers who can't access the internet or prefer not to apply online can obtain a paper copy in person at one of our borough permit offices listed below. There is a $25 non-refundable processing fee for all Special Events permits. Checks or money orders should be made payable to City of New York Parks and Recreation.

Smoke-Free Parks and Beaches

Beginning May 23, 2011, smoking will be prohibited at all parks, beaches, and pedestrian plazas. Visit the Smoke-Free Parks page to find out more about this new legislation and how to ensure that your event remains smoke-free.

Borough Permit Offices


1 Bronx River Parkway
Bronx, NY 10462
(718) 430-1848

Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.


24 West 61st Street
Arsenal West, 5th Flr.
New York, NY 10023
(212) 408-0226

Hours: Monday - Friday 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Staten Island

Greenbelt Recreation Center
501 Brielle Ave
Staten Island, NY 10314
(718) 667-3545

Hours: Tuesday - Friday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.


Litchfield Villa
95 Prospect Park West
Prospect Park
Brooklyn, NY 11215
(718) 965-8912

Hours: Monday - Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

NOTE: Parks does not accept applications for special event permits at Brooklyn Bridge Park. Information on applying can be found on Brooklyn Bridge Park?s website.


Flushing Meadows Corona Park
Passerelle Building
(across from outdoor Tennis Courts)
(718) 393-7272

Hours: Monday - Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Citywide Special Events Office

Contact the Citywide Special Events Office for large-scale events (over 500 people) or events for promotional/commercial purposes at (212) 360-1319.

Related information

Designated Barbecuing Areas in City Parks
Getting Married in the Parks

Was this information helpful?  

NYC Parks on Facebook: